All images copyright. Do not use without permission.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Singing along

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Mildura West railway reserve

It was very glarey but I took my camera for a walk with it's new lens hood and I didn't have to be too patient before this honeyeater came out of the scrub for me!  

The railway reserve is probably quite under-rated. It has a walking path, lots of native vegetation and in some spots, guerrilla veggie patches. Every year there is a family that grows capsicums and there is a big mulberry tree but I never seem to time it right and whenever I go back when I think they will be ripe, all the mulberries are gone! Maybe it's the birds. I've seen Pink Cockatoos near here, eating almonds from backyard trees too.

7 comments:

  1. Great photo of the Honeyeater and it sounds like a very interesting place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like quite an interesting bird, I'd like to know more about it.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool looking bird! Awesome capture and sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet for him to sing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo sounds like a nice place to take your camera for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking bird - Its surprising what birds can turn up in rather "uninserting" sounding places. I used to work on a nature reserve that was an abandoned railway - lots of good stuff turned up if you were willing to look.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this posture it looks vaguely like a frogmouth.

    ReplyDelete